Questions about Saint Joseph's COVID response may be directed to Ms. Jennifer Mallett at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Justin Rodkey at email@example.com.
- Saint Joseph's will implement a full, in-person instructional model, five days-per-week, with physical distancing to the greatest extent possible using numerous safety precautions outlined within the plan and this notification.
- Face coverings are optional for Saint Joseph's students and school personnel as directives from the state of PA have expired or been overturned.
- Visitors are not required to wear face coverings.
- Families who have had exposure to COVID are strongly encouraged to follow published guidelines regarding testing and quarantine periods.
- Students who are absent for any reason will have access to class assignments through Google classroom.
- Virtual attendance (i.e. ZOOM) will not be required unless it is essential for an absent student to be in attendance for a class. Teachers will determine the requirements for students’ that are absent.
Cleaning, Sanitizing, Disinfecting, and Ventilation:
- Routine cleaning of all utilized spaces will be performed each afternoon. Additional cleaning will be implemented on an as needed basis.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be maintained in each entrance area, and students and staff will be encouraged to use them before entering the buildings.
- Water drinking fountains will continue to be turned off. Water filling stations will be available. Students and staff are encouraged to bring their own water bottles.
- Beginning January 12, 2022, face coverings are not required. Masks provided by the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown are available in the school office for any student, faculty member, or visitor would like a face covering.
- Face coverings are optional for all athletic activities.
- No sharing of snacks; pre-packaged snack bags preferred.
- Per school district policy, while in district provided transportation (ie. on school bus) students must remain in their assigned seats and wear a face coverings .
Isolation and Quarantine:
Beginning on January 12, 2022, in accordance with the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown, Saint Joseph's Catholic Academy's policy is as follows:
Exposure and Unvaccinated:
- Quarantine for 5 days and monitor for symptoms. If symptoms develop, restart 5 day isolation from onset of symptoms.
- Return on Day 6 with no fever and with recommended consistent mask wearing days 6-10. Continue to monitor for symptoms.
- If the exposure is to a family member that the person lives with, the quarantine period is 10 days unless the exposed person can be separated from the COVID positive patient then it is 5 days.
Exposure and Vaccinated:
- No quarantine is required. Consistent masking for 10 days is recommended and monitor for symptoms.
- For those 18 years of age and older, vaccinations need to be up to date to avoid quarantine. This includes a booster shot if needed.
- Children ages 5-17 only need the primary doses of a COVID vaccine to be considered up to date. Boosters are not required.
- Anyone who has had a confirmed COVID positive test in the last 90 days does not need to quarantine.
COVID positive Vaccinated or Unvaccinated:
- Symptomatic- 5 days isolation with a return on day 6 if symptoms are improving and the person has no fever. Recommended consistent mask wearing for days 6-10.
- Asymptomatic- 5 days isolation, monitor for symptoms and return on day 6 as long as the person is fever free. Recommended consistent mask wearing for days 6-10.
NOTE: A negative test result is not required for a student's return for any of the above scenarios.